Hi! I'm Victoria and welcome to DisinfoDocket. DisinfoDocket curates influence operations-related academic research, news, events and job opportunities.
Did you know that DisinfoDocket takes requests? If you have suggestions or relevant work that you'd like to see included, simply reply to this email and send us the details!
* Russian propaganda efforts around the world
* France's RSF’s requests ban on Russian propaganda broadcasts by Eutelsat
* And much more!
- Inside China’s Surveillance Panopticon (The Markup, 10 December)
- 9 of the most powerful people in Seattle in 2022, featuring Kate Starbird, professor at Washington University (AXIOS, 10 December)
- ‘Information and Elections in the Digital Era’: Knight Center and UNESCO launch self-directed online course in four languages (Knight Center, 9 December)
WATCH: CDT's 2022 Future of Speech Online: The Supreme Court’s Pivotal Term (Day 1) (Center for Democracy & Technology, 7 December)
1. Platforms & Technology
- Can Humans Find Common Ground? Sure. Just Start With Sea Slugs.: As civil discourse online and off increasingly proves elusive, a website devoted to identifying plants and animals may be teaching humans how to get along. (NYT, 9 December)
- The New Chat Bots Could Change the World. Can You Trust Them? (NYT, 10 December)
- ChatGPT can tell jokes, even write articles. But only humans can detect its fluent bullshit (Guardian, 11 December)
- LISTEN: Kate Klonick: Can Social Media Not Be So Anti-Social? (Clear & Vivid, 6 December)
- Elon Musk Steps Up Attacks on Twitter’s Former Safety Head (Bloomberg, 11 December)
- The illusion of Twitter as a public space (CITAP, 9 December)
- Long-form tweets might be coming soon, Musk hints (Arab News, 10 December)
- Critics Say Musk Has Revealed Himself as a Conservative. It’s Not So Simple. (NYT, 10 December)
- Elton John quits Twitter blaming change in misinformation policy (BBC, 10 December)
- What if failure is the plan? Some thoughts on Twitter's trajectory. (Zephoria, 5 December)
- Twitter launches Community Notes feature that lets people add context to tweets (Independent, 12 December)
- Elon Musk’s Twitter Files Are Bait: He doesn’t actually want transparency on the social-media platform. (The Atlantic, 9 December)
- The ‘Twitter Files’ Is What It Claims to Expose (Intelligencer, 10 December)
- Why Is Twitter Shutting Down Chinese Activists’ Accounts? (Rolling Stone, 9 December)