Hi! I'm Kate and welcome to DisinfoDocket. DisinfoDocket curates influence operations-related academic research, news, events and job opportunities.
Did you know that DisinfoDocket takes requests? If you have suggestions or relevant work that you'd like to see included, simply reply to this email and send us the details!
* US surgeon general issues advisory on ‘profound’ risks of child social media use
* Lawfare Hacking Class Now Public
* Why hasn't Google enforced its policy to stop climate disinformation?
- How news site Daraj reports on women’s rights and corruption across the Middle East (Reuters Institute, 23 May)
- Satanism, ritual cults and Hollywood: debunking ‘satanic panic’ conspiracy theories (The Conversation, 23 May)
- Fox News' white nationalism-infused rhetoric about the end of Title 42 is utterly detached from reality (Media Matters for America, 23 May)
- Social Media Can Be a ‘Profound Risk’ to Youth, Surgeon General Warns (The New York Times, 23 May)
- "Proud Ukrainian with Nigerian roots" - Alice Zhuravel is combatting misinformation by elevating the narratives of diverse Ukrainians (Inkstick Media, 23 May)
- Mapping Threat Actor Behavior in the Ransomware Payment Ecosystem: A Mini-Pilot (Institute for Security and Technology, 22 May)
1. Platforms & Technology
- How AI-generated images are complicating efforts to combat disinformation (International Journalists' Network, 22 May)
- Chatbots of the dead: AI grief chatbots can help us talk to loved ones from beyond the grave. Are we okay with that? (Coda Story, 22 May)
- Hundreds of thousands of new subscribers to OutKick's YouTube channel will be fed racist and transphobic content (Media Matters for America, 22 May)
- 'Deepfake' scam in China fans worries over AI-driven fraud (Reuters, 22 May)
- Lawmakers, experts fear key cyber vacancy leaves US vulnerable to attacks (The Hill, 22 May)
- ‘There was all sorts of toxic behaviour’: Timnit Gebru on her sacking by Google, AI’s dangers and big tech’s biases (The Guardian, 22 May)
- Verified Twitter accounts spread AI-generated hoax of Pentagon explosion (VICE, 22 May)
- A new Twitter policy cripples journalists’ efforts to halt disinformation (The Hill, 23 May)
- Meta Fined $1.3 Billion for Violating E.U. Data Privacy Rules (The New York Times, 22 May)
- EU, U.S. data transfer pact expected by summer, EU Commission says after Meta fine (Reuters, 22 May)
- Following UK antitrust order, Meta sells Giphy to Shutterstock for $53M after buying it for $400M (Tech Crunch, 23 May)
- Meta layoffs add fear of misinformation surging on Facebook, Instagram (The Washington Post, 23 May)