Hi! I'm Kate and welcome to DisinfoDocket. DisinfoDocket curates influence operations-related academic research, news, events and job opportunities.
Did you know that DisinfoDocket takes requests? If you have suggestions or relevant work that you'd like to see included, simply reply to this email and send us the details!
* Paris 2024 calls for vigilance amid disinformation campaign
* Deepfakes could supercharge health care's misinformation problem
* Putin approves amendments restricting media coverage of presidential elections...
- Artificial Intelligence, Disinformation, and the 2024 Indonesian Elections (The Diplomat, 14 November)
- Climate change news audiences: Analysis of news use and attitudes in eight countries (Reuters Institute, 14 November)
- Middle East 101, Week III: The Arab Revolt, the Peel Commission, and the UN Partition Plan (The Cosmopolitan Globalist, 14 November)
- What Might Russia’s Future Hold? (Inkstick Media, 14 November)
LISTEN - Why Is It Getting Harder To Fight Election Misinformation? (NPR, 13 November)
1. Academia & Research
- To Tell The Truth: Language of Deception and Language Models (arXiv, 13 November)
- The impact of misinformation on patient perceptions at a men’s health clinic: a cross-sectional study (Nature, 14 November)
🚨 💰 👀 - New @RecordedFuture research! This report examines the growing accessibility of easy-to-use bot software for enabling fraud in digital advertising. This type of fraud is now projected to reach $100 billion in losses by the end of 2023. https://t.co/c30p36uUtn— Alexander Leslie (@aejleslie) November 14, 2023
2. Platforms & Technology
- OpenAI chief seeks new Microsoft funds to build ‘superintelligence (Financial Times, 13 November)
- Google sues to block AI ads preying on small businesses (The Wall Street Journal, 13 November)
X (formerly Twitter)
- X continues to suck at moderating hate speech, according to a new report (The Verge, 14 November)
- Elon Musk Reveals X Will Release 'Major Update' to its Algorithm to Feature Smaller Accounts (Tech Times, 14 November)
- How Meta Is Monetizing the Decline of Facebook (New York Magazine, 14 November)
- Nepal Is Banning TikTok Over Hate Content, Officials Say (The New York Times, 13 November)
- TikTok was slammed for its pro-Palestinian hashtags. But it’s not alone. (The Washington Post, 13 November)