Hi! I'm Victoria and welcome to DisinfoDocket. DisinfoDocket curates influence operations-related academic research, news, events and job opportunities.
Did you know that DisinfoDocket takes requests? If you have suggestions or relevant work that you'd like to see included, simply reply to this email and send us the details!
- Facebook-parent Meta breaks up its Responsible AI team (CNBC, 18 November)
- Apple pulls its ads from X after Musk’s antisemitic posts: Big-spending advertisers like Apple, Disney, Warner Bros. Discovery, and IBM have pulled back from the platform after Elon Musk expressed support for antisemitic posts. (The Verge, 18 November)
- Change in X’s terms indicate EU researchers will get API access (Tech Crunch, 17 November)
- A brief and partial history of generative AI on social media (Conspirator Norteño, 19 November)
1. Platforms & Technology
- What Went Down at OpenAI (The Information, 17 November)
- OpenAI board in discussions with Sam Altman to return as CEO (The Verge, 18 November)
- Fair Use Arguments for Training Generative AI Are “Wrong,” Says AI Executive (Tech Policy Press, 16 November)
- Minding the AI Power Gap: The Urgency of Equality for Global Governance (Tech Policy Press, 17 November)
- Digital apartheid and the use of social media algorithms in humanitarian crises (Global Voices, 14 November)
- Truth Social’s Harsh Truth: Donald Trump’s Twitter alternative is flailing. If it tanks, where will he post? (Slate, 16 November)
- How Social Media Is Turning Into Old-Fashioned Broadcast Media (WSJ, 17 November)