Hi! I'm Victoria and welcome to DisinfoDocket. DisinfoDocket curates influence operations-related academic research, news, events and job opportunities.
Did you know that DisinfoDocket takes requests? If you have suggestions or relevant work that you'd like to see included, simply reply to this email and send us the details!
* Big Tech to face tougher rules on targeted political ads in EU
* U.S. Says Russia Funds Latin America-Wide Anti-Ukraine Disinformation Drive
* 'I blew the whistle on Meta, now I won't work again'
If you’re following the results of the elections tonight, please consider joining us for a post-election debrief on Thursday at 2 p.m. EST! https://t.co/tBZYE8dhIq— The Brookings Institution (@BrookingsInst) November 8, 2023
- In Canada’s battle with Big Tech, smaller publishers are caught in the crossfire (Reuters Institute, 7 November)
- 85% of people worry about online disinformation, global survey finds (The Guardian, 7 November)
- Editor of scientific journal says fake study linking whale deaths to wind farms is 'deliberate misinformation' (ABC, 7 November)
- Dr Anti-Vax podcast spotlights a spreader of misinformation — review (Financial Times, 6 November)
- X and TikTok are both under fire from the EU over hate speech and Israel-Hamas disinformation (Business Insider, 8 November)
One month after the horrific Hamas terrorist attacks against Israel on 10/7, ASD analyzes how information surrounding the war is being weaponized and manipulated by China, Iran, and Russia to blame the West & improve their own international standing.https://t.co/Ce9g3RIWLG— Alliance for Securing Democracy (@SecureDemocracy) November 7, 2023
1. Academia & Research
- Foreign Electoral Interference Affecting EU Democratic Processes (Authority for EU Political Parties, 6 November)
- Mobile social media as a vehicle of health communication: a multimodal discourse analysis of WeChat official account posts during the COVID-19 crisis (Nature, 6 November)
2. Platforms & Technology
- Big Tech Ditched Trust and Safety. Now Startups Are Selling It Back As a Service (WIRED, 6 November)
- OpenAI unveils personalized AI apps as it seeks to expand its ChatGPT consumer business (Reuters, 6 November)
- Behind the Curtain: What AI architects fear most (in 2024) (Axios, 8 November)
X (formerly known as Twitter)
- The new Twitter is changing rapidly — study it before it’s too late (Nature, 7 November)