Hi! I'm Victoria and welcome to DisinfoDocket. Docket+ is a weekly roundup of the latest influence operations-related academic research, events and job opportunities.
Did you know that DisinfoDocket takes requests? If you have suggestions or relevant work that you'd like to see included, simply reply to this email and send us the details!
* How publishers can fight misinformation in and about science and medicine
* As Cambodia approaches a crucial election, journalists suffer shutdowns and abuse
* Reducing Misinformation in a Polarized Context: Experimental Evidence from Côte d’Ivoire
🚨NEW STATEMENT: Meta Threads Are the Next Round in a Race to the Bottom— Real Facebook Oversight Board (@FBoversight) July 6, 2023
People Aren’t Just Leaving Twitter Because It Doesn’t Work - It’s Also A Cesspool; Meta’s Platforms Are No Better - and A Massive Privacy Risk.
Full statement herehttps://t.co/7jJOHXtIx0
- Saudi Arabia’s execution of two Bahrainis sparks competing hashtags on Twitter (DFRLab, 5 July)
- TikTok fails to enforce content removal of climate change-denial videos, BBC investigation finds (ISD, 30 June)
- Building Resilience: Identifying Community Solutions to Targeted Disinformation (PEN, July)
- Towards Digital Platforms and Public Purpose: Final Report of the Democracy and Internet Governance Initiative (Harvard University, 6 July)
- Tale of a viral fraud: A Twitter account that claimed to be a liberal U.S. voter in a blue state and gained popularity in 2020 via misleading political tweets may have been operated from overseas (Conspirator Norteño, 8 July)
1. Academia & Research
1.1 Platforms & Technology
When you have a mission like Twitter -- you need to make big moves to keep strengthening the platform. This work is meaningful and on-going. Here’s more insight on our work to ensure the authenticity of our user base. 👇 https://t.co/5FzBa3636Z— Linda Yaccarino (@lindayacc) July 4, 2023
- Kat Duffy on the state of the trust and safety industry in 2023 and what comes next (Everything in Moderation, 30 June)
1.2 World News
- Double Check: Has the Havana Syndrome mystery finally been put to rest? (Logically, 3 July)
Russia & Ukraine
- ‘To challenge Russia’s ongoing disinformation campaigns’: eight years of EUvsDisinfo (EUvsDisinfo, 5 July)
- Kicking up dust in Zaporizhzhia (EUvsDisinfo, 6 July)