Hi! I'm Victoria and welcome to DisinfoDocket. Docket+ is a weekly roundup of the latest influence operations-related academic research, events and job opportunities.
Did you know that DisinfoDocket takes requests? If you have suggestions or relevant work that you'd like to see included, simply reply to this email and send us the details!
Please share your experience of countermeasures to online harms with us: All survey respondents will receive a month’s free access to DisinfoDocket and three lucky respondents will win a year’s annual subscription with us.
* How the CCP is influencing information environemnts in the Pacific Islands and beyond
* Celebrating International Women's Day, Best Stories from GIJN Women
* Assessing the Ability of Social Media Companies to Combat Platform Manipulation
- Seven steps to spread a conspiracy: How Russia promoted weapons trade allegations (DFRLab, 9 March)
- How will the US counter cyber threats? Our experts mark up the National Cybersecurity Strategy (CEIP, 3 March)
1. Academia & Research
1.1 Platforms & Technology
- What Washington Gets Wrong About China and Technical Standards (CEIP, 27 February)
- Poll: Young people in 13 EU countries refuse surveillance of online communication (EDRi, 7 March)
- Improve academic search engines to reduce scholars’ biases (Nature, 20 January)
- Artificial and Computational Intelligence & Artificial intelligence, the Internet of Things, and digital misinformation (OSF, 5 March)
- Stylometric Detection of AI-Generated Text in Twitter Timelines (ArXiv, 7 March)
- TikTok: Influence Ops, Data Practices Threaten U.S. Security (Center for Internet Security, 9 March)
Governance, Regulation & Content Moderation
- Social Media Manipulation 2022/2023: Assessing the Ability of Social Media Companies to Combat Platform Manipulation (NATO StratComCoE, 3 March)
- SoK: Content Moderation for End-to-End Encryption (ArXiv, 7 March)
- Governing principles: Articulating values in social media platform policies (Sage, 7 March)
- Search engine effects on news consumption: Ranking and representativeness outweigh familiarity in news selection (SAGE, 6 March)
- Political Relational Influencers: The Mobilization of Social Media Influencers in the Political Arena (IJoC, 2023)
- Identifying Misinformation Spreaders: A Graph-Based Semi-Supervised Learning Approach (ArXiv, 7 March)
- That's interesting! The role of epistemic emotions and perceived credibility in the relation between prior beliefs and susceptibility to fake-news (PsyArXiv, 6 March)